Friday, June 4, 2010

Slingo

Yesterday while I was carting my 20-something-carless-daughter around from home to work and work to other work and other work to home, we had ample opportunity to catch up. I hadn't seen much of her when I was on the road, so we had some catching up to do.

What I didn't realize was that she had come up with an entirely new language while I was away. Something her and her friends all understand, but leaves the rest of us scratching our heads, puzzling over her Facebook messages.

So there she was animatedly chatting away when she casually drops the phrase "Mackin' on my Koolaid" into the conversation.

Wha???

"Oh, yeah, our Slingo? We make up words all the time."

Wha??? Slingo?

So, here to decipher for you, lest your teenager come down with the same malady, is my interpretation:

Slingo - Slang + Lingo

Mackin' - Smoochin' or lovin'

Koolaid - Your sweetie or object of desire

Therefore, "Mackin' on yer Koolaid" means smooching with your sweetie.

What can I say? It all makes sense now. Tonight after work, she's going to get dolled up and go hang with her Koolaid.

They're not dating tho, so there'll be no mackin'.

Cheers -
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment