Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saving Batman

I Saved Batman Today

It’s not every day you get to save a superhero. But today, I was the heroine that saved Batman.

Let me explain.

I was on the dock down at the lake near my house, loading my kayak onto my portage wheels, strapping it down good in preparation for the walk back up to my house. I wasn’t really paying any attention to anything except getting those straps on right – you really don’t want the wheels to come loose when you’re hauling your very beloved carbon-composite kayak up a hill to your house half a mile away.

Well, you don’t really want your wheels to come loose under any circumstance I would imagine. But back to the dock.

I’m still not sure what it was that made me look around today – maybe the garbled noise that sounded like someone talking under water. I thought I could just make out a voice saying “Hbeleblep Mebepebeeeee….” or something like that.

So I stood up and looked around. I didn’t see anything at first. I scanned the water near the shoreline. That’s when I caught sight of him – Batman was drowning!

Batman!

I didn’t waste any time after I spotted him. I was down off that dock lickety-split. I don’t know what sound a heroine makes when she moves super-fast, but I bet it sounds a lot like “lickety-split.”

I could just barely reach his foot without getting my own foot wet (always best to keep your feet dry in a rescue if at all possible), but finally I got a hold of it and began to lift him up.

Well, after I stopped to take a couple of pictures of course. Otherwise, who’d ever believe I rescued Batman?





His predicament appeared to be caused by a load of sand and gravel trapped in his cape, keeping him under the water. I suspect the Joker had a hand in this. Note to self: When performing Feats of Superhuman Bat Strength, Beware the Cape.

Batman Struggles Ashore

After dislodging all the debris holding him down, Batman was then able to struggle through the weeds and get himself back to shore.

Safe on Dry Land!

He seemed relieved to be back on dry land again.



I was hoping Christian Bales might take off his costume and give his heroine a proper “thank-you” for rescuing him.

But, alas, no such luck.

3 comments: